Share this page :

Burnley moved into the fourth round of the FA Cup, and a date with Swansea Town, after beating Lincoln City 2-0 in their third round replay at Turf Moor in 1960.

It was the start of what supporters hoped would be a cup run and one that would see us go all the way to Wembley for the first time in thirteen years, and as those supporters made their way to Turf Moor many would have seen the very impressive new Keirby Hotel moving ever closer to completion. The £300,000 luxury hotel was moving on a pace with over 140 workers per day making sure everything was on schedule. The current workers included plumbers, electricians etc. but they were soon to be replaced with a team of experts responsible for the sumptuous fittings.

Times were really exciting and I bet the ladies of Higham could hardly contain themselves when the Higham District Women’s Institute held their monthly meeting. They were in for a real treat when Mr R. Yates of Burnley arrived to give them a talk entitled ‘The probation system and how it works’. And it got even better for Mrs C. Law in the social half-hour after the talk; she was the winner of the competition entitled ‘A Home Made Calendar’.

The new bus washing machine

We’d had a pea souper of a fog and that had caused problems with bad smells in Padiham. Some thought it was spreading from Hapton Valley but it turned out it was all because of Padiham dirt in the atmosphere according to a local expert who chose to remain nameless. He said: “It was caused by a stream of low lying cold air above which had not allowed fumes from the town’s chimneys to escape. It caused a concentration of sulphur dioxide to collect until it reached ground level. This was the sulphur that people could smell and is the kind of thing that the smoke control measures are aimed at obliterating.” I bet the people of Padiham were delighted with that clear explanation.

Bus journeys in Burnley were set to be cleaner with the big front page news that the Burnley, Colne and Nelson Joint Transport Committee were able to inspect the new automatic bus washing machine at the Queensgate depot. It was a Dawson washing machine which utilised a ‘magic eye, a photo electric beam of light which switched the water on as the bus drove in. And when the bus drove out it switched it off again after 35 seconds. The roof and sides were swilled without the driver having to leave his seat and there was even a special tank where the water could run off for further use.

Into the courts and you had to feel sorry for one poor driver who crashed into a seven ton lorry and found himself in front of Burnley Magistrates. He told the court that his vision was badly obscured by a van he was overtaking and by driving rain that had severely reduced visibility. Because of this he was unable to see the traffic lights at the Summit (top of Manchester Road) and went through to hit the lorry. The van he was overtaking was stopped at the red lights as were other vehicles and he succeeded only in causing serious damage to his own car although escaped without injury. He was of the opinion that he had done nothing wrong if he couldn’t see the traffic lights but Mr G. J. Hacking (prosecuting) didn’t agree. He fined him £10 for failing to conform to a traffic signal.

Next in court was a Sunderland man who had moved to Burnley with his wife and five children to look for work. He found work but then became infatuated with another woman (a heinous crime in 1960) and gave up his job to spend more time with her. That led to him stealing and he appeared having stolen a £4 cheque, a 12s 6d bottle of brandy, £3 7s 6d by false pretences, two rings valued at £8, an £8 gold wristlet watch and a £15 radio. On the bright side, the infatuation was over and he was trying to patch up his marriage. Chairman of the bench Mr Wilfred Lord told him: “These are serious and particularly mean offences, but we are taking note of your anxiety to try to patch up your domestic affairs and we are going to give you a chance to do that.” He was placed on probation for two years.

There was a good result in court after the police lost a case. The local constabulary were sent to the General Havelock public house and were looking through fan lights where they saw drinks being served at 11:15 p.m. on a Sunday, three quarters of an hour after the end of the licencing hours. The licensee was charged for selling drinks outside the agreed hours and a number of drinkers were charged with drinking after time. A lack of firm evidence meant all charges were dismissed.

So to the football, and a bumper crowd at Turf Moor saw Burnley go through to the next round. Burnley should have won by a greater margin, but perhaps, that did not worry supporters in view of the actual result coupled with it the prospect of a fourth round tie at Swansea. There was no comparison between the team who struggled to a draw at Sincil Bank and that which operated with more class and distinction under the Turf Moor floodlights. Even so, Lincoln fought hard, and there was not a lot between the sides until Burnley’s penalty, though Burnley were faster and held more threat in their forward play.

Lincoln were unchanged, while Jimmy McIlroy returned to the home attack and John Angus took his own position at right back after recovering from injury. The attendance of 35,416 was in cup tie mood from the start, and must have enjoyed the encounter thoroughly. The tense situation on the field revealed itself with some wild ‘half back’ shooting at both ends. Although Burnley had had more of the play mid way through the first period they had little to show for it.

Then, Brian Pilkington wriggled his way past two defenders and was brought down inside the area. McILROY took the penalty and scored. John Connelly spoiled a 40-yard run by weak and inaccurate shooting and Ray Pointer crashed into the boundary wall and hurt his shoulder. McIlroy was then heavily grassed wide of he area and from his free kick PILKINGTON headed the second goal.

It was only to be expected, after the terrific start, that the pace would slacken but Lincoln still went after a goal and went close when Adam Blacklaw got his finger tip to a mighty drive from Albert Linnecor. But it could have been more near the end. Connelly contrived a miss trying to place a rolling centre from Pointer, with City wide open and helpless. And then it was Jimmy Robson’s turn to misfire, with Lincoln again all out of position as a result of a quick cross pass.

That brought it all to an end with Burnley going through with a fully deserved 2-0 victory.

The teams were;

Burnley: Adam Blacklaw, John Angus, Alex Elder, Bobby Seith, Brian Miller, Jimmy Adamson, John Connelly, Jimmy McIlroy, Ray Pointer, Jimmy Robson, Brian Pilkington.

Lincoln City: William Heath, Ronnie Allen, Jeff Smith, Fred Middleton, Dennis Gratton, Bob Jackson, John McClelland, Ron Harbetson, Andy Graver, Albert Linnecor, Ron Smillie.

Referee: Mr R. T. E. Langdale (Darlington).

Attendance: 35,416.

FA Cup 3rd Round Replay Results

12th January 1960

Burnley 2 Lincoln 0
Doncaster 1 Bristol Rovers 2
Preston 3 Stoke City 1

13th January 1960

Arsenal 1 Rotherham 1 (after extra time)
Blackburn 4 Sunderland 1
Bolton 4 Bury 2
West Ham 1 Huddersfield 5
Wolves 4 Newcastle United 2

FA Cup 3rd Round Second Replay Result

18th January 1960

Arsenal 0 Rotherham 2 (played at Sheffield Wednesday)

Follow UpTheClarets:

Share this page :