Unwelcome Keane speculation returns
During June there was a lot of speculation and outside noise regarding a potential move by Leicester for Burnley defender Michael Keane with the Premier League champions apparently having made a number of offers for him.
With the Daily Mirror leading the way, with information believed to have come from someone close to the player, it was reported that Keane wanted the opportunity to talk to them, but when Burnley refused their final offer it all seemed to die down.
Neither club, of course, have said anything about offers but Sean Dyche did eventually speak out on the situation and just under three weeks ago the Lancashire Telegraph revealed that the manager had said that he has no intention of selling Keane to Leicester with him also confirming that the player had been as good as gold as the speculation persisted.
Keane was, according to a number of sources, offered a new four year deal by the Clarets. If that’s the case, it does remain unsigned unless Burnley are holding the news back, but I always suspected the speculation might start again.
And, last night, from the same Mirror source, comes news of a potential £17 million offer to come from Leicester with a repeat of a previous line that Burnley and Dyche want £20 million for him.
I’m not quite sure where wanting £20 million and having no intention of selling him to Leicester fit together, but this latest speculation will very definitely not be welcome at Turf Moor so close to the start of a season that is surely set to kick off with Keane in the Burnley starting eleven.
It’s just two years since Keane arrived at Burnley, the Clarets applying for an extension to get a loan deal through on the last day of the summer transfer window. The loan was until January but we then signed him on a permanent basis.
He had to wait for his chance and got it following an injury to Michael Duff at Stoke and he went on to make 21 Premier League appearances for us. But last season he missed just two games through an injury, partnering Duff in the first half of the season and Ben Mee after Christmas as the Clarets moved back to the Premier League as Championship champions.
He’s become a key player at Turf Moor and it will certainly be good news for Burnley fans if he’s in the side next Saturday and, even more so, if he’s in our team for the home game against Hull on 10th September, our first fixture after the closure of the transfer window.Share this page :